Currently 3 classes are offered on Sundays from February 11th to March 24th, 2024:
Beginner Dog (2:00pm - 2:45pm) No class March 3rd $120.00 NOW FULL
Beginner Dog (same class different time) (1:00pm - 1:45pm) No class March 3rd $120.00
Beginner Dog is a foundation obedience class open to dogs 4 months and older. The foundations of Name Recognition, Sit (Stay), Down (Stay), Leash Walking, Recall (Coming when called), Stand, and Leave-It will be introduced and practiced with an introduction to proofing exercises. Lure-Reward based training methodology will be utilized. This is not a class for reactive dogs.
Rally Novice (1:30pm - 2:15pm) No class March 3rd $120.00
Rally Novice class is for dogs 6 months and older. Novice AKC signs will be taught and practiced. Dogs should be comfortable working around other dogs. Dogs should be able to walk on a loose leash and obey basic commands such as sit, down, and stay. This is not a class for reactive dogs.
TRICKS CLASS: Novice Trick Dog Class (1:00pm -1:45pm) $120.00
Tricks class is for dogs 6 months and older. This class will teach you how to engage with your dog and train him to perform fun and easy tricks. Dogs in enrolled in this class should have basic manners and be able to work around other dogs (not a class for reactive dogs). There will be opportunities to earn AKC Trick Dog title with this class.
All classes are with dogs (in the past the first class was without dogs).
Ring Practice (walk-in classes)
The obedience practice ring will be available from 12:00pm to 3:00 pm on the days when regular classes are held. There will be a volunteer mentor at the ring, who will not only identify problems and offer solutions but will also remind exhibitors of the rules governing competition.
Open & Utility Ring Practice (12:00pm - 1:30pm)
Dogs must have an AKC Novice Obedience title (CD) or equivalent to participate and
must be training at the Open class level. Dogs must be under control unleashed to
Beginner Novice / Novice Ring Practice (1:30pm - 3:00pm)
Dog must be working towards a Beginner Novice or Novice title to participate in this class. Dogs that have a Novice title but are refining skills are also welcome in this group. Experienced trainers will assist with AKC exercises and provide feedback.
The rally practice ring will be available after the Novice Rally class ends, from 2:15pm to 3:00 p.m. In addition to the novice signs, more advanced signs will also be placed on the course.
Rally Advanced, Excellent & Master Class Ring Practice (2:15pm - 3:00pm)
This is a drop-in class for those with previous experience in AKC Rally. You will receive tips and feedback from experienced Rally trainers. A different course will be set-up each week with a variety of signs for practice.
The cost of a walk-in class is $10 for OPDTC members and $15 for non-members.
You can also purchase an "OP Punch Card" that is good for 6 practices ($50) or for 13 practices ($100).
Please read this information sheet before completing your registration for the class.
1. All OPDTC classes are limited in size. To ensure a place, your completed application, full payment, and proof of vaccination must reach us a minimum of one day prior to the class start date and prior to the time the class limit is reached.
2. If you must withdraw from a class, contact the registrar. Refunds will be evaluated on an individual basis.
3. Please arrive at least 15 minutes before the first session to complete your registration. If possible, please plan to leave your dog in the car until class begins, unless it is hot outside and/or unsafe.
4. Distemper, Parvo and rabies inoculations MUST be current and must be administered at least 2 weeks prior to any class, except for puppy class attendees that are less than 6-months old. Puppies should have at least 2 vaccinations for Parvo and Distemper at least 7 days prior to their first class. It is essential that the series be completed and that rabies vaccinations be given to all dogs over 6 months old.
5. PROOF OF VACCINATIONS FOR ALL DOGS MUST BE SENT TO THE OPDTCINFO@GMAIL.COM EMAIL ADDRESS AT LEAST ONE DAY PRIOR TO THE FIRST CLASS. The document must include the dog's name and the expiration date of the vaccinations or the date of vaccination and the inoculation period of the vaccinations. Titers will be accepted if a letter from a veterinarian that includes an interpretation of the results is included.